Wood surfaces are a haven for mold growth. Mold thrives in damp and cold conditions, conditions likely to be present alongside moisture. Wooden surfaces are very prone to moisture, and consequently, can cause a lot of mold buildup if not treated correctly and timely.

Wooden floors and decks in your home can be the perfect place for mold to thrive. 

You should first remove existing mold and moisture wherever possible. You can remove mold by using these:

  • Borax can remove mold very effectively because it’s highly alkaline. An alkaline surface makes the pH level of a surface very undesirable for mold growth.
  • Sporicidin is essentially a disinfectant. You can comfortably use it on walls, wood, and floors. Clean any wooden surface first before you apply sporicidin.
  • You can also use vinegar to kill mold. Vinegar’s light acid content can kill all types of household fungus and mold. 

There are more treatments. Using specialized chemical cleaners can be effective. Vodka also has a significantly high percentage of alcohol, but why waste it. Lastly, detergent and hydrogen peroxide are both good mold killers.

You might also have heard about bleach. Bleach can reduce and kill mold, but it cannot completely finish it off. Mold can always regrow after bleach treatment.

Once you have killed off existing mold, it’s now time to take care of moisture spots around your home. You do this by increasing ventilation and improving insulation.

There are many ways to decrease humidity and moisture in a household. Damp regions should be avoided at all costs. Additionally, make sure that there is no water seepage or leakage in or around your home.

When a wooden surface is affected by a mold infestation, you first want to find its source. Always wear protective clothing before you interact with any type of mold. Once you have the source, clear the room before you start cleaning.

Using any of the many materials listed above, kill off all the mold carefully. Prefer products that can be sprayed. Once done, let the surface dry and then sand it. Be gentle with the sanding process and only target the mold-affected area, leaving everything else intact.

Keep wood surfaces away from any source of water. Exposure to high humidity and water causes thriving mold. A dehumidifier might be warranted in the case of more severe infestations or in cases where you cannot bring the household humidity down.